esmaspäev, 28. veebruar 2022

The Case For Copyright Reform - Chapter 2

 I think copyright issues have been a problem for a while. I doubt there is a person who has never pirated anything or maybe at least tried to.  There are quite a few rather funny (and sad..) clips out there demonstrating how "bad" pirating is. For example this one (link). Too bad, I suppose I am a kleptomaniac at this point.

I think that one of the most important issues that the Pirate Party discusses is privacy. Although I have not heard of anyone getting punished for pirating. However, here is a rather grim article about the Estonian Organization for Copyright Protection. It seems to try and somehow scare people away from pirating, comparing it to capturing the movie in a movie theatre using a smart phone. The article also encourages anyone that has any knowledge about a "pirate criminal" to report it immediately. And it also mentions that Estonians on a larger scale do not understand that pirating is somehow "wrong". This article was published in May of 2021, in the midst of a global pandemic when people were probably more desperate than ever to have some entertainment.

I agree with the Pirate Party that copyright violations by private people (non-corporations) can not be tracked without violating their privacy. And I will not even mention the "I have nothing to hide!" crowd. Privacy is not about hiding, it is more about not being watched 1984-style.

I would very much like to see that in the future, everyone is able to share media with their loved ones without being "a pirate". Or whatever corporations try to equate pirating to. You wouldn´t download a car now, would you?


Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar

The Social Contract Theory in IT

 A lot of IT revolves around social contracts - a set of rules in a community or forum; what is "legal" when writing code in diffe...