esmaspäev, 14. veebruar 2022

Online Journalism - Still a Controversial Topic?

In Estonia, at least, lately there has been a lot of talk about online journalism sites trying to make their ends meet. I personally dislike the pages from the get-go: the privately used sites are often full of ads and on top of that, maybe around 90% of the articles are actually readable for someone who isn´t paying for a subscription. Most subscriptions do not take away the ads and only allow the user to read the full articles. 

This has lead to many people sharing the full articles with others online. I have myself read quite a few of those, as I do not own a subscription for any online journalism site. Usually I get my news off of ERR, a news site that is completely ad-free and free to use. They have a lot of good quality content. For example, Delfi is seemingly half-way filled with articles like "10 things men need to know about women". And I mean, I do not mind it but when I am browsing news I am usually looking for other types of information. I think I could go on a rant about the quality of the content - it is never really that good and I do not enjoy seeing so many clickbait titles.  

I probably can´t think of a good way for an online journalism page to make enough money to "survive" - I can´t really support them myself. However, I would like to see a situation where people who pay to read their content do not have to watch ads. I mean, it is obvious - not everyone uses adblock (and some people even think it to be unethical; I think overusing ads is the unethical thing here).  

I also believe that private media is still really important - only having national media feels like something out of North Korea. However, the online journalism pages have to now figure out how to stay afloat.  

I think one of the key problems that the online journalism websites face today is that the younger generations do not read as much news (probably). Still, I see almost no way for them to improve since it seems that they are not capable of being with even less ads or creating a constant flow of good quality content.  

I decided to visit Delfi without adblock and clicked on the very first article they had available to read. The article was created by Kroonika, a yellow magazine portion of Delfi. It was about a woman getting stuck in a burning building and passing out in the ambulance..
As you can see, there are five ads on my screen at the same time and most of them are in the middle, so that while the reader is reading the text using a touchscreen they may easily click on one of the ads (and thus generate revenue for Delfi).

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar

The Social Contract Theory in IT

 A lot of IT revolves around social contracts - a set of rules in a community or forum; what is "legal" when writing code in diffe...